Plan, launch, and grow the startup of your dreams with us
Importance of Entrepreneurial Education Entrepreneurial education emphasizes on the development and application of an enterprising mindset and skills in the context of the establishment of a new venture along with developing and growing an existing business venture or designing an entrepreneurial organization. Entrepreneurship education aims at producing graduates who are capable of pointing out the opportunities and developing ventures through the establishment of new ventures or developing an existing venture. It focuses on persuading students to utilize enterprising skills as well as attributes to a range of different contexts, including new or existing business ventures, charities, NGOs, public agencies and social organization or enterprises.
Entrepreneurial education outfits students with the additional knowledge, capabilities and attributes which are essential to utilize these abilities in the context of the establishment of a new business. The call for a greater emphasis on enterprise and entrepreneurial education is a demand of the present time. Learning about and experiencing enterprise whilst still at university can have several benefits. It gives students an alternative career option and the confidence that they can establish business or enterprise on their own. The enterprise and entrepreneurial education can provide highly engaging learning opportunities, particularly when related to the program of study selected by the student; developing enterprising abilities can enrich both students’ educational experience and future prospects of their career, especially within micro and small enterprises. In this context, the Government of Bangladesh formulated different education commissions and education policies with different plans and motives from time to time. These commissions and policies put emphasis on various aspects of the education system including Entrepreneurship
- Establishment of Department of Innovation and Entrepreneurship as a Pioneer in Bangladesh: Daffodil International University established the Department of Innovation and Entrepreneurship under the Faculty of Business and Entrepreneurship and introduced the pioneering four-year Bachelor of Entrepreneurship program in Bangladesh. The program aims to create graduates equipped with entrepreneurial skills, knowledge, values, and attitudes for their businesses. After successful completion of this program, graduates will be able to transform themselves not only as self-employed business people but also as creators of employment. A group of distinguished entrepreneurs and leading academicians are offering this course through blending theoretical knowledge and practical exposure. Global exposure has also been included in the program with the help of foreign universities. http://de.daffodilvarsity.edu.bd/
- Startup Market: DIU introduced the ‘Startup Market’ at its premises to promote the entrepreneurial potential of students and create more buzz in university life. It is considered a platform for students to run small businesses and learn from that experience. Viable projects will be facilitated commercially in Dhaka and, perhaps, throughout the country.
- Daffodil Business Incubator (DBI): In order to achieve the goal of creating employment, poverty alleviation and GDP growth in line with the vision of the government, Daffodil International University is the first and only university in Bangladesh to introduce a Business Incubator (DBI) to help entrepreneurs to sustain their startup ventures. The Daffodil Business Incubator started out on 23 September 2012, with the aim of creating new entrepreneurs through entrepreneurial training and evaluation processes under Daffodil International University. It has already gained trust and a reputation for quality, high standards and success of its students. Some students have already started businesses with support from DBI. DIU has been untiring in its efforts to reduce unemployment in the country by generating young entrepreneurs through the Daffodil Business Incubator. DBI offers a distinctive, creative environment where one’s business ideas can flourish, and one can gain all the advantages of being in close proximity to advanced technology, expertise and the facilities of DBI. Besides, an entrepreneur will also get fully-equipped office space, business advice and guidance from DBI experts, access to funding and advice on preparing bids, be part of a knowledge-based community, access Daffodil International University academic and administrative support, workshops and training opportunities, a prestigious trading address, PCs, office equipment and meeting rooms, access to IT and technical facilities and also growth opportunities of different sister concerns of Daffodil family. http://incubator.daffodilvarsity.edu.bd/
- Bangladesh Venture Capital Limited (BVCL): New entrepreneurs do not have access to friendly capital (from the entrepreneur’s side) to implement their ideas or to bring high growth prospects to their innovations, especially in the early stages. An adequate flow of risk capital (from the investors’ side) in our economy could play a leveraging role to boost entrepreneurial activities. Generally, angel investors and venture capital firms contribute to this risk capital for new companies. In view of this effort, Bangladesh Venture Capital Limited (BVCL) has come forward to provide early-stage funds for new business ventures. BVCL is encouraging the younger generation, especially students, to see BVCL as a friendly element (for funds) for innovation. BVCL believes that, in the near future, Bangladesh will be the place for the next Google, facebook, skype, PayPal etc. which were once backed by angel investors and venture capital. http://www.venture.com.bd/
- Daffodil Industrial Innovation Park (DIIP): DIU strives to facilitate youth to become doers through DIIP entrepreneurial facilities to resolve the paradox of education and graduate unemployment as successful role models in Entrepreneurship and Skilled Human Resource Development both at home and abroad. It will strive to shape the entrepreneurship development initiative in the country in a positive way. It will provide industrial technology, training, technical and financial assistance, marketing facilities, quality development of products and other relevant assistance to help young people become entrepreneurs. It will also provide incubation facilities to facilitate young entrepreneurs to survive and develop in the face of business competition.
Services to be provided:
- Skills Training
- One stop service centres
- Patenting reverse engineering, products and innovations
- Testing services for foreign employers
- Showcasing and displaying cultural and heritage products
- Providing & producing necessary machinery
- Incubation services
- Hostel facilities
- Resort facilities
- Sports Ground facilities
- Banking and financial services
- Shopping complexes
- Helipad services
- Laboratory services
- Employment financing services
- Solar power grid
- Backward linkage production zones
Stakeholders of DIIP:
- University Students
- Drop out Students
- Foreign Companies
- Business Executives
- Recruiting Agencies
- Government Organizations (GOs)
- National and International NGOs
- DIU Industry Academia Lecture Series on Entrepreneurship Development: The Innovation and Incubation Centre (IIC) of Daffodil International University (DIU) took the initiative to arrange a public lecture program under the title of DIU Industry Academia Lecture Series on Entrepreneurship Development. With the aim of informing and motivating educated youth to become entrepreneurs by taking a lesson from the struggles and challenges of twelve well-known entrepreneurs of the country. The lectures of these 12 successful entrepreneurs will be compiled and published as a book which will act as a reference for the students of the Faculty of Business and Entrepreneurship.
- DIU Academia Lecture Series: 12 |
DIU Industry Academia Lecture Series 12: Hossain Mahmud
https://youtu.be/fTLlAUAxg48 DIU Industry Academia Lecture Series 12: Mahbubur Rahman
https://youtu.be/MyPy55iRxvYDIU Industry Academia Lecture Series 12: Manwar Hossain
https://youtu.be/jCjIl9h7iDgDIU Industry Academia Lecture Series 12: Md Sabur Khan
https://youtu.be/MNVdk44SducDIU Industry Academia Lecture Series 12: Musammat Bibi Amena
https://youtu.be/7UfaAvGAN2ADIU Industry Academia Lecture Series 12: Hossain Khaled
https://youtu.be/lEryR-PwVJUDIU Industry Academia Lecture Series 12: Anowar Hossain’s Daughter
https://youtu.be/f6uC0R3ui1oDIU Industry Academia Lecture Series 12 : Anowar Hossain’s Daughter In Law
https://youtu.be/0ZT3cWU3JHADIU Industry Academia Lecture: 12 Abu Taher Khan
- Industry-Academia Lecture Series: 10 | Ms. Bibi Russell
- Industry-Academia Lecture Series: 09 | Niaz Rahim, Group Director, Rahimafrooz
- Industry-Academia Lecture Series: 08 | Mr. Latifur Rahman, Chairman, Transcom Group
- Industry-Academia Lecture Series: 07 | Mrs. Rokia Afzal Rahman, President, BFWE
- Industry-Academia Lecture Series: 06 | Mrs. Geteeara Safiya Chowdhury, Chairman, Adcomm Ltd
- Industry-Academia Lecture Series: 05 | Mr. A. K. Azad, Chairman, and CEO, Ha-Meem Group
- Industry-Academia Lecture Series: 04 | Mr. M Anis Ud Dowla, Chairman, ACI Ltd.
- Industry Academia Lecture Series: 03 | Md. Mozibar Rahman, Chairman, BRB Cable Industries Ltd.
- Industry-Academia Lecture Series: 02 | Syed Manzur Elahi, Chairman, Apex Group
- Industry-Academia Lecture Series: 01 | Alhaj Sufi Mohd. Mizanur Rahman, Chairman, PHP Family
- DIU Academia Lecture Series: 12 |
International Events and Activities
- Organized STARTUP FEST-2016: The Kauffman Foundation, USA, celebrated Global Entrepreneurship Week 2016 in 160 countries this year where 20,000 partner organizations organized 35,000 events all over the world. About 10 million people participated. As a partnering university of the KAUFFMAN FOUNDATION, USA, the Department of Entrepreneurship of Daffodil International University, in association with DIU Career Development Center & Bangladesh Venture Capital, organized the “STARTUP FEST 2016” in November on DIU premises. Mr. Md. Sabur Khan, Chairman, BoT, Daffodil International University, visited the startup ventures as Chief Guest. A total of 40 startup ventures took part and showcased their products and services.
- Entrepreneur Guidance Program (EGP): EGP focuses on the potential of youth and professionals who are interested in becoming entrepreneurs, self-starters or top executives. Under this program, DIU provides guidance, motivation, knowledge and blue ocean strategy to be a successful entrepreneur. At the same time, EGP also provides a networking business platform that transforms the entrepreneur’s dream into reality. Finally, it helps to start one’s own business or flourish others’ businesses as top executives and leaders. EGP is designed for students, graduates, job holders, executives and anyone who aspires to lead an organization or who is expected to become an entrepreneur in the near future.
- Global Entrepreneurship Summer Program (GESC), UNIMAP, Malaysia: The Global Entrepreneurship Summer Program (GESC) is the brainchild of the top management of several Asian universities, who first met during the AUPF held in Guangzhou, China on 5-8 November 2015. There were 122 participants, of whom seven were from the Department of Entrepreneurship, Daffodil International University, Bangladesh, 20 participants from Mahasarakham University, Thailand, with others from Uni Map. University Malaysia Perlis was the host of GESC-2016.
- Get in the Ring (GITR): Get in the Ring is a very popular global event to connect startups. It’s part of Global Entrepreneurs Network hosted by the Erasmus Centre for Entrepreneurship, Netherlands. During the year 2015, DIU hosted the event for the first time in Bangladesh for participants from 80 countries worldwide. The event created huge hype among the youth of the country. We got a tremendous response, especially from university students. After a short selection, 19 startups were short-listed. The event attracted some very young and talented students who explored the market place during the final contest, which was held on January 17, 2016. The Chief Guest was Dr. Atiur Rahman, Former Governor of Bangladesh Bank. It was a unique evening in the history of Bangladesh with music and dancing providing the backdrop to fierce competition between the startups.
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation Expo: During his tenure as President of Dhaka Chamber of Commerce & Industry (DCCI), the author initiated a scheme for the creation of 2000 entrepreneurs nationwide through the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Expo in association with Bangladesh Bank, at which Daffodil International University played a key role as R&D. His Excellency President of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh, Mr. Md. Abdul Hamid, graced the occasion as the Chief Guest. The objective was to ensure self-employment and employment opportunities in the country. Potential entrepreneurs were given training with the cooperation of IFC and SCITI under the initiative. It was lauded by different ministries of the Government of Bangladesh and the private sector as well as at international level. In recognition of the contribution to entrepreneurship development in Bangladesh, the author achieved the “World Quality Congress Award” from the World Quality Congress and at the same time “Asia’s Most Inspiring Nation Builder Award”, given by Top 10 of Asia and Top 10 of Malaysia for his leadership and social contribution to Bangladesh.
- DIU-INHA Entrepreneurship Program- 2019: Two week long (9-19 February 2019) ‘DIU-INHA Entrepreneurship Program-2019’ was concluded with a colorful closing ceremony today on 19 February 2019 at 71 Milonayoton of Daffodil International University.A contingent of 12 students and 2 researchers from Inha University, South Korea along with 12 students from different Departments of Daffodil International University joined this Entrepreneurship Camp at Daffodil International University Bangladesh started on 9th January until today. This 24 students were divided into 4 groups and presented 4 Business Idea at the closing ceremony. Team THUNDER won the best Business Idea award.
- Global Entrepreneurship Summer Program (GESC), USIM, Malaysia: The aim and objectives were: To present a platform where youth can come together to brainstorm on how to develop a global entrepreneurial mindset, To challenge youth globally, University Sains Islam Malaysia (USIM), Daffodil International University (DIU), Perfect triangle (PT) and In-House Multimedia are jointly organizing the Global Entrepreneurship Camp (GEC), 2019 at Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia (USIM), Nilai, Malaysia, We are inviting 300 students from 50 universities of 35 countries of Asia Pacific region and others parts of the Globe. The camp will be held from February 8th to 18th, 2019. Students would equip themselves with global knowledge, participate in cross-cultural activities, build communication skills, and gain confidence to be able to become future business leaders. They also will get academic credits and recognition from several institutions, as well as an experience of Malaysian lifestyle, culture, and heritage through different set activities of study and recreational visits.
- HULT Prize DIU: In a few short years, the Hult Prize has become the world’s largest student competition. As the most prestigious award on the planet for the creation of new social enterprises, we are expanding our footprint in our quest to tackle the world’s most pressing issues. Each event organized on your campus will provide teams with unparalleled opportunities and resources to have the impact, including support through an international community of change agents and $1,000,000 in start-up capital. DIU hosts HULT Prize on a regular basis. We are ranked no. 1 this year as we have the highest number of participation. More than 586 teams have participated so far this year.
- Global Entrepreneurship Week (GEW): Global Entrepreneurship Week is a celebration of the innovators and job creators who launch startups that bring ideas to life, drive economic growth and expand human welfare. During one week each November, GEW inspires people everywhere through local, national and global activities designed to help them explore their potential as self-starters and innovators. DIU organize Global Entrepreneurship Every Year. In GEW-2018, we have hosted 135 events in total. During one week every November, thousands of events and competitions in 170 countries inspire millions to engage in entrepreneurial activity while connecting them to potential collaborators, mentors and even investors. Powered by the Kauffman Foundation, the initiative is supported by dozens of world leaders and a network of more than 15,000 partner organizations.
- Are You the Next Startup?: DIU started an initiative to develop 500+ new entrepreneurs (including 30% women entrepreneurs among them) in the country within the next 5 years under a project entitled “Are You the Next Startup?” The most talented youngsters will be sought from all over the country and will be provided with a 100% scholarship as well as all sorts of logistic support and cooperation to enable them to become successful entrepreneurs. “Are You the Next Startup?” is a national talent hunt initiative organized by the Department of Entrepreneurship, DIU, and introduced to find potential startups and entrepreneurs in Bangladesh. It will hunt, groom, design, organize, and manage new enterprises or business ideas until the ultimate success of each winner. Students who have come up with the first batch of approved projects are already being enrolled in the University on scholarships.
- Global Money Week: Global Money Week (GMW), a CYFI initiative, is an annual financial awareness campaign built to inspire children and young people to learn about money matters, livelihoods and entrepreneurship. Bangladesh Skill Development Institute (BSDI) and Daffodil International University (DIU) led the weeklong GMW celebration in collaboration with Bangladesh Bank. To develop the saving habits of the younger generations, the organizers of the Week encouraged policymakers to participate, inviting them to engage with young Bangladeshis. DUI’s GMW2018 was the largest celebration yet, reaching the highest number of children, both directly and indirectly, since GMW was initiated in the country.
Daffodil ICT Carnival: ICT itself is in the craziest ride in terms of its fast development. A huge number of our young population is the passengers who are taking different benefits considering the latest trend and whatever opportunities are coming before them. In most cases, the talents are not explored for the absence of focus, exposure, link with industries. On the other hand, Industries don’t also get right talents which they need. To bridge between these two points and to showcase the products/services, Daffodil Family is going to organizing the ICT Carnival.
- Publication of books on Entrepreneurship in two Languages: Mr Khan, during his tenure as President of Dhaka Chamber of Commerce & Industry (DCCI), authored a book in 2013 on entrepreneurship called: ‘Handbook of Entrepreneurship Development’. The book was inaugurated by Mr. Md. Abdul Hamid, His Excellency President of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh.
Download the Book: Handbook of Entrepreneurship Development
- To make his ideas more widely available to students and youth, a Bengali version ‘Uddokta Unnayan Nirdeshika’, was written in 2016 by Mr Khan, which was inaugurated by Mr. Atiur Rahman, while the latter was the Governor of Bangladesh Bank.
- Sabur Khan’s next book, ‘A Journey towards Entrepreneurship’, was written and published in 2017. This was inaugurated in the presence of Dr. Qazi Kholiquzzaman Ahmad, Chairman, Palli Karma-Sahayak Foundation (PKSF); Mr. Kazi M. Aminul Islam, Executive Chairman, Bangladesh Investment Development Authority (BIDA); & Mr. Abul Kasem Khan, President, Dhaka Chamber of Commerce and Industry (DCCI).